On August 5, 2020, I had the pleasure of speaking with author Kristina Forest in advance of her upcoming YA romance novel, Now that I've Found You. We had a wonderful conversation and were able to cover a variety of topics.
Because the subtitles in the video are not 100% accurate, I've included my interview questions below...
- I love the fact that you (Kristina) champion stories that feature the average Black kid. While all of our stories have value, sometimes it feels as though diverse literature for children can be kind of heavy. The stories usually revolve around overcoming slavery or civil rights, or the characters come from quote-unquote troubled backgrounds. So it's refreshing to come across stories that are light-hearted and fun. To that point, I find many parents struggle with getting their kids, particularly older children, into reading. What would you say to a kid to get them interested in reading? What book would you suggest they start with? What advice would you give to parents?
- Both your debut book and this most recent one are romantic comedies, which is great. Who doesn't love love?! When you hear the phrase "Black love" what's the first thing that comes to your mind?
- What would you say to a kid, teenager that's in a relationship or dating? What would you say to them about love or romance?
- I've read some interviews you've done in the past and I've read your bio. Music seems to play a big part in your work. Since we've been on quarantine lots of concerts have been cancelled or postponed. If you could have your own private quarantine concert, which artist would you choose to serenade you? Dead or alive, current, old, doesn't matter.
- Give us one quarantine hack. Or what's something that you've learned/discovered since being on quarantine?
Overall I found both Kristina and her book delightful! Now that I've Found You is the perfect summer read. One that is light-hearted and fun, but with enough drama to take our minds off all the craziness that is going around us.
To purchase Now that I've Found You, please click here. The book is scheduled to be released on August 25, 2020 and will ship after that date.
Kristina Forest is the author of I Wanna Be Where You Are and Now That I've Found You. She earned her MFA in Creative Writing with a concentration in Writing for Children at The New School. She lives in Brooklyn, New York with two huge bookshelves.
Favorite books: When You Reach Me by Rebecca Stead, If You Come Softly by Jacqueline Woodson, Devil In Winter by Lisa Kleypas and Americanah by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie
Favorite song: "The Beautiful Ones" by Prince
Favorite color: Turquoise